The time now is Fri, 09 Mar 2012 10:48:15
Welcome:Guest Gold coins:0 Silver Coins:0 Points:0 Level:Guest New messages:0

User Submitted News

Have some news? Would like to report it on Games-engine's frontpage? Just start a new topic here.
You and Your news will known by everybody.

Moderator: admin, shie17, Deletr753, distdude969, tinaluo6483, Brenda Cassidy ,

FirstPage Previous 1 Next LastPage   Total  1  Page   Goto Page

OVERVIEW

Summary: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days revolves around Roxas, the "other" hero from King Hearts II. Players follow Roxas through his days among Organization XIII's ranks, unraveling the events that took place during the year that Sora was asleep, and ultimately revealing one of the Kingdom Hearts saga's most shocking secrets. Players and their friends join Roxas, his friend Axel and the mysterious fourteenth member of Organization XIII on a journey across charming, vibrant worlds full of Square Enix’s and Disney’s beloved characters. Additionally, KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days uses the local wireless capabilities of Nintendo DS to introduce the series’ first ever multiplayer mode, in which players can take control of their favorite Organization XIII members and tackle a variety of missions on their own terms. In KINGDOM HEARTS, Sora turned the Keyblade on himself in order to release Kairi’s heart, but his heart was also released in the process. This brought about the creation of Roxas, Sora’s Nobody. Unlike most Nobodies, however, Roxas has no memories of his past. He joins Organization XIII and slowly begins to discover the truth behind his existence and the Organization itself. He meets and befriends the fourteenth member of the Organization, who also has no recollection of her past. What will Roxas see during his time in the Organization? What is the connection between him, Sora and the fourteenth member? And what becomes of them? Dive into the heart of the KINGDOM HEARTS storyline’s biggest secrets. A series-first multiplayer mode, allowing up to four players to control any Organization XIII member. Learn about the origins of the "Organization XIII" name. Get to know the members of Organization XIII, including the mysterious fourteenth member. Finally experience the KINGDOM HEARTS storyline’s missing chapter. [Square Enix]

REVIEW

Oh hi there, fellow Kingdom Hearts fan -- it's good to see you. Yes, have no fear, I too am a devoted follower of this venerable Square Enix franchise and I have been since the series debuted on the PlayStation 2. So before you read any further, I can assure you that I care about this game just as much as you do.

For those of you who aren't among the eager fans that live and breathe anything with Sora in it, Kingdom Hearts is actually very easy to grasp: Square Enix combined famous heroes and villains from the Final Fantasy series with memorable Disney characters -- then tossed in some original content for good measure. The result is an action RPG franchise that has made quite a name for itself and has now delivered two proper games (and one smaller spin-off) to the JRPG landscape.Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is yet another spin-off that follows integral side character, Roxas, during his time with Organization XIII. These days span the time between the original Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2.

If you've never played a Kingdom Hearts game, I suggest you stop reading and go snag a copy. Not only will this article spoil certain elements of the original two games, but it just won't make much sense to you. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is a game for Kingdom Hearts fans and its plot is very difficult for newcomers to grasp, considering its somewhat specific focal point.

This system also allows players to change their mind halfway through the game, as panel layout can be completely adjusted from the hub world at any time. And, as this game is a four-player affair, groups of friends can actually specialize their teams and create strategies based on each player's interests. It's a pretty smart system.

But not everything is simple and clean in this DS spin-off. This is the fourth time I've traveled to some of these worlds and met these Disney characters -- and it's getting old. The idea of visiting different worlds isn't disagreeable to me at all, but everything in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is a rehash of a previous environment or scenario. Even the music tracks are all taken from previous games. This is unacceptable, because the Kingdom Hearts series deserves better.

Expect challenging combat this time around.
Expect challenging combat this time around.
Perhaps it would have been more tolerable had those similar worlds just been designed differently, but each world in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is just a small collection of rooms that you visit numerous times. It's very frustrating and will certainly wear you down after the hours add up.

This issue of repetition is a serious blow against the game. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days could have been a phenomenal DS effort, but that "been there, done that" dilemma really hurts the overall experience. The problem is exacerbated when you consider the game's slow pacing, which was even sluggish for my tastes (and I usually tolerate slower numbers).

Yet, the one-of-a-kind melancholy and beauty that comes with the Kingdom Hearts games still shines through here and makes the game a worthwhile adventure. You'll find sanctuary in the heart-aching interplay between Roxas and his friends, and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days shines quite a bit of light on the inner workings of Organization XIII. Although the pacing might be slow, the dialogue is surprisingly charming and tone of voice was clearly considered when this game was written. These scenes encouraged me to keep playing, even through all the dreary repetition.

Closing Comments

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is only for Kingdom Hearts fans. I couldn't see any other gamer getting into it without knowing at least 75 percent of the story beforehand. With that said, I think this game is a fairly worthy addition to the Kingdom Hearts franchise, despite its problems. Even amidst the slow pacing and serious repetition, I found rewarding combat and yet another nostalgia-filled story. While not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, I think Kingdom Hearts fans should pick this one up.

After all, what's better than watching the sun set with a bar of sea salt ice cream?

10 Coins /News Award 10 Coins/ by lovegames
Edited By Nibhan At 5/31/2012 10:42:10 AM

Signature

Post Thu, 31 May 2012 10:36:18
Looks a good game nibhan oh may have to if it comes out on 3dsshy
PostThu, 31 May 2012 12:07:23Reply(0)

Signature

Great review, Nibhan. keep up the good work! Maybe someone who has ever played this game can share their feelings with us later. Then we can know whether it is worth being played or not. heart-to-smiley
PostThu, 31 May 2012 20:38:42Reply(0)

Signature

Quoted From lovegames Posted 2012-05-31 08:38:42
Great review, Nibhan. keep up the good work! Maybe someone who has ever played this game can share their feelings with us later. Then we can know whether it is worth being played or not. heart-to-smiley
I`ve played the game and ut`s really off the hook!!!
PostFri, 01 Jun 2012 01:59:59Reply(0)

Signature

Wow good graphicsSmile
PostSun, 19 Aug 2012 12:38:59Reply(0)

Signature

Haha,Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is only for Kingdom Hearts fans. I couldn't see any other gamer getting into it without knowing at least 75 percent of the story beforehand.

That was my first kingdom hearts,I did not know ANYTHING of the story and I enjoyed it.And after reading the whole story(After a play-trough of Re:Coded),I love this game even more!But I think you can actually do same as me and play it as your first one.The stand-alone story is good enough without knowleged of others games.But I must say there was some obscure moment that I did not understand.But it's a great game,wheter a kh fan or not.

PostSun, 19 Aug 2012 16:26:40Reply(0)

Signature

already finished this game and almost finished the 3DS one!!
PostSun, 19 Aug 2012 16:29:38Reply(0)

Signature

Quoted From drjudi Posted 2012-08-19 04:29:38
already finished this game and almost finished the 3DS one!!
Me too,,the game genre is AWESOME!!
PostMon, 20 Aug 2012 00:08:37Reply(0)

Signature

All I hear from my daughter is she can't stop playing it. Great graphics and story.
PostFri, 21 Dec 2012 19:08:31Reply(0)

Signature

FirstPage Previous 1 Next LastPage   Total  1  Page   Goto Page
View credits policy

Quick Reply

Submit